About the VidiU
The VidiU by Teradek is a compact hardware encoder device, used to combine audio and video into a format suitable for webcast streaming. It features one HDMI input (for video) and one stereo 3.5mm input (for audio). It can stream over wired (recommended), wireless, or USB 3G/4G cellular internet connections. Additionally, it has a 3 hour battery life.
VidiU front controls
Although we recommend using the web interface or mobile app to control the VidiU, you will need to know how the front controls work in order to complete the initial setup.
- From Main Menu = Start/Stop streaming
- Elsewhere = Cancel/Escape
- Press = Select
- Up/Down = "Navigate" vertically through options
- Right = Go deeper in the menu
- Left = Return to the previous menu level
Cables and Startup
- Connect the camera to the VidiU via the HDMI cable.
- Connect Audio Source to the 3.5mm stereo audio input (if you're using a source other than the camera's microphone).
- Connect the VidiU to your Internet router via the network cable if you will be using a wired connection (recommended).
- Connect the VidiU to power using the AC power adapter.
- Slide the power switch on.
- The screen will light up and the VidiU Logo will display during the startup process, which can take a few minutes.
Skip On Screen Prompts
After the device has booted the screen may show several prompts. Please do the following:
- If prompted "Update Available," navigate over to "Skip" and press the Menu button.
- If prompted to "Choose Platform," navigate down to "Set Up Later" and press the Menu button.
Configuring & Controlling the VidiU
Access the Web Interface
First, connect your computer or mobile device to the same wired or wireless network as the VidiU. Next, you will need to find the VidiU’s IP address (i.e. 10.xxx.xx.xx). To do so:
- Press the Menu button (on the front of the VidiU).
- Navigate down to "Network Settings" and press the Menu button.
- With "wired" selected, press the Menu button. An IP address is displayed (e.g. 10.109.23.56).
- Enter and navigate to the IP address into your browser; the web interface will load.
Manually Install a Supported Firmware Version
- Access the VidiU Controls via the Web Interface (see instructions above).
- Click here to download the currently supported firmware and save it to your computer.
- Click the Settings button at top right, then select "System", "Firmware Upgrade".
- Click the "Browse" button to select the file saved to the computer, then click "Upgrade".
The VidiU will copy the file from your computer and begin the firmware update process, rebooting itself as needed until the firmware update is completed.
Configure the VidiU to Broadcast
Schedule a Test Event
Schedule a Event
Alternative Methods for Controlling the VidiU
While the web interface is the recommended method for controlling the VidiU, the following alternatives methods are available for controlling the VidiU.
VidiU App (iOS and Android)
The method requires an iOS or Android smart phone or tablet. One advantage to this method is the added live video/audio monitoring functionality. Download the VidiU App for free in the respective app stores. See Using the VidiU App for detailed instructions.
VidiU Front Controls
This method allows for webcasting without the use of a dedicated computer or smart phone (except to schedule the event). You will find similar options under each menu item using the front controls as are found through the Web Interface of VidiU App.